Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Matt Alacran editorial: Why Do We Not Accept People Who Are Not Like Us?

Why do we not accept people who are not like us? As you go about your everyday life, do you ever notice how many people don’t accept people because they are not like us? I am a clone, I am the clone of the drug lord El Patron, who used to be the great ruler of the country Opium. I’m sure that many of you have heard all of the stories about Opium, how people who don’t do what El Patron wants become Eejits. Basically they are zombies except that they are alive and have a chip controlling their brain. If you don’t tell them when to eat or drink they won’t, they’ll die. During my time living on the Alacran estate I had my fair share of not being accepted by the many people who lived and worked their. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. When I was little, I used to live in this small house with a very kind woman named Celia. She took care of me everyday and told me she worked at a house for a rich family. One of the days when she was at work and I was home alone, I saw children from outside our house. This was the first time that I had seen anyone other than Celia. I was curious and wanted to go out to meet them, instead when I tried to get out, I hurt myself really badly and had to be brought to the big house. There I found out that I was a clone, I had “property of Alacran Estate” printed on my foot. As soon as they found out everyone immediately did not accept me. First I was thrown out onto the front lawn and was only brought in when the doctor said I need to be treated by him. The doctor was not a nice man and I disliked him deeply. I was put under the care of Rosa ( another employee at the Alacran Estate). She was a very bitter and mean lady, I was treated like an animal. I was thrown into a room with a dirt floor and I had to go to the bathroom on newspaper. When El Patron came and saw how I was being treated he stopped it all. I was able to have a life, I was assigned one of his bodyguards. His name was Tam Lin and he took very good care of me.Tam Lin treated me like I was a true human being. Iwas taught many things and I excelled at music. El Patron used to have me sing to him. Truly only Celia, Tam Lin, Maria ( one of El Patron’s grandchildren) and El Patron treated me well. People would avoid me, I snuck around the house and enjoyed watching and listening to Felicia play the piano. I remember how on Emilia and Steven’s wedding I was not invited and not allowed to be seen. All of my life I have not been accepted by other people. I am a clone, but I am also a boy, a human boy. No one else could tell that I was a clone except for the mark on my foot. I just don’t understand why people won’t accept someone who is different. Every human is different from one another. People have different hair colors, eye colors, heights, personalities. People have different talents whether it is music, art, writing, etc. Everyone likes different kinds of foods, some people love pizza, others hate it. Some people love chinese food, mexican food. What is it about someone who is a clone that makes everyone hate them. We are the clones of another human being. We grow, mature, and have skills. I was different from El Patron in that I had a talent for music. I am not an evil person who makes others live in misery. My point, my reason for writing this column is to tell people to accept people who are not like us. I have shared my experience of growing up in a place, a world where I was not accepted by most people. I hope this convinces you to accept other people who are different than us. Give someone a chance, get to know them. They might be someone who is worth getting to know and becoming your friend. Sincerely, Matt Alacran

No comments:

Post a Comment